Skip to main content

The Best Albums of All Time



These days when someone asks me what my favorite album is, I automatically think of Florence + the Machine. Not only are they so incredibly amazing, they are consistently so. Every song is a new adventure of twinkling harps, intense drums, and of course, the gorgeous voice of Florence that is about as feminine as it is dangerous, mysterious, and strong.

My favorite songs off this album are as follows (and when I say favorite, I mean I would like dry up and die if I couldn't listen to these songs anymore)

1. Cosmic Love
2. Rabbit Heart (Raise it Up)
3. Howl
4. Blinding
5. My Boy Builds Coffins

And from the B-sides

1. Swimming
2. Heavy in Your Arms
3. Bird Song

2. Demon Days, Gorillaz


When I first heard this album, I had heard very little about Gorillaz. I thank my cousin Brenna every day for exposing me to such awesomeness. I believe it was THE album that caused me to be a little more open-minded about the music I like. I realized it was weird music. I knew it was strange. But I also knew beyond a doubt that I absolutely loved it! It was an interesting discovery to make about myself. They make the coolest songs out of the strangest noises. I feel like it's a very subliminal album. I have no choice but to love the sound.

Favorites:

1. Kids With Guns
2. Dare
3. Feel Good Inc.
4. Last Living Souls
5. O Green World
6. Each Planet We Reach is Dead (basically half the album is my favorite :)

3. Play, Moby


This is another pivotal album that made me realize that I like pretty interesting music. It's not like I'm calling myself hipster or anything. It was just surprising to me what kind of music I take pleasure in. Oh this album . . . . :) It reminds me of driving to school in my freezing cold van. The only source of comfort I had was this CD. Every song is a bizarre but epicly introspective. Makes you want to dance one moment, and then makes you want to cry . . . . or write some really dark poem :)

Favorites:

1. Rushing
2. Machete
3. Down Slow
4. If Things Were Perfect
5. Everloving
6. Porcelain

4. Open Door, Evanescence

My favorite out of the three albums out from Evanescence. I feel in this album, she took a darker, sexier side than her debut, which I am always a fan of. She seemed to take a deep dive into the modern, female psyche into a dark, mysterious rock underworld.

Favorites:

1. Lithium
2. Cloud Nine
3. Like You
4. Lose Control
5. The Only One

5. Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, Sarah McLachlan

I believe that this album is the pride and joy of the 90's as far as music goes. Yes. That is a bold statement, and I believe it with all my heart. If any album as a tone or atmosphere, it's Fumbling Towards Ecstasy. It's so dark, and sad, and creepy, and sexy, and . . . . I seem to have a pattern don't I? I guess that is just what I enjoy :) Judge me all you like. I feel like it's a very mysterious album, as far as the music and lyrics go. It's like she's allowing you to peek into her the dark corners of her life, without actually showing you anything. There is passion, fear, loneliness, heartbreak, and love.

Favorites:

1. Possession
2. Wait
3. Plenty
4. Elsewhere
5. Ice
6. Fear

6. Elysium for the Brave, Azam Ali


When I think of this album, a breathe and audible sigh of pleasure. This album is the personification of everything mystical, dark, sexy, and awesome. (I will try to branch out of the dark sexy stuff okay!) I also think of vampires. Yes, there is a reasonable explanation for this. For my 17th birthday, my sister Bree gave me two presents: Dracula by Bram Stoker and this album. I thought to myself, why don't I read this book while listening to the new CD I got. I found out, it was a perfect combination. It's also a great CD to do yoga to.

Favorites:

1. Endless Reverie
2. In Other Worlds
3. Abode
4. Forty One Ways
5. The Tryst

7. Morning View, Incubus


This album is my favorite of the Incubus albums. It's the more . . . positive feeling album from the rest, which I know is strange since apparently I like dark things. It's not like it's happy go lucky happy. I guess it's hard to explain why I like it so much. It's just a beautiful album that makes me feel good and peaceful inside :)

Favorites:

1. Wish You Were Here
2. Mexico
3. Echo
4. 11am
5. Aqueous Transmission

8. Absolution, Muse

This was a very difficult decision to make: which Muse album is the best in my opinion. Because it would simply be silly if I didn't have Muse on this list. I would be inviting myself to open mockery. It was between Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations. In my mind, I knewBlack Holes and Revelations was a very solid album and that I vastly enjoy it. But in my heart, I knew Absolution was first in my affections. I just love it. I don't know if I can say anything more concerning the matter. I think when I just need to rock out and feel awesome, I listen to Muse, particularly this album.

Favorites:

1. Butterflies and Hurricanes
2. Endlessly
3. Hysteria
4. The Small Print
5. Time is Running Out

9. Legend, Bob Marley


Oh Bob Marley. I LOVE BOB MARLEY!!! More than anything, he makes me so, so, so, happy. I don't know what it is about that man. I usually get bored with the Jack Johnson, easy going, guitar stuff. It's good stuff, dont' get me wrong. I just can't listen to an entire album of it. Except when it comes to Bob Marley. And I chose Legend because it simply has all my favorite songs on one album.

Favorites

1. Is This Love
2. Could You Be Loved
3. No Woman No Cry
4. Three Little Birds
5. Buffalo Soldier
6. Jamming
7. Redemption Song

10. Ceremonials, Florence + the Machine


I star with Florence, and I end with Florence. I haven't decided if I think this album is better than her first or not. It is certainly different. More dark, and introspective. I'm just at a loss as to how someone gets these songs out of their head and into a song. This album had me crying, tapping my foot, and creeped out, depending on the song. Some songs would have me doing all three.

Favorites:

1. Only If For A Night
2. What the Water Gave Me
3. Never Let Me Go
4. Seven Devils
5. Leave My Body
6. Strangeness and Charm
7. Bedroom Hymns
















Comments

  1. Great list. Now I have a few albums to add to my "To Listen" list. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'll stick with you baby for a thousand years. Nothing's gonna touch you in these golden years.

By this time in our trip, our group has already seen Shakespeare's All's Well That Ends Well at the Globe . . . which was superb. Today, we got to take a tour of the theatre itself. Might be one of my favorite sight seeing things I have done. It's just that I have spent so many school years learning about this theatre and the time of Shakespeare. I feel like all I had learned didn't really stick until today. I was there. I was in the space where it all happened. It's true what my English professors say, that if you really want to major in English, your life wouldn't be fulfilled to you come to England. Everything I have learned just gels together all of a sudden. It's beautiful. A wonderful event in earth's history. A stunning creation wrought by humankind. For instance, I learned that the people who watch from the ground are called "groundlings." Makes sense. They were also called "penny stinkers" because they paid one penny to get i

In the spring I shed my skin and it blows away with the changing wind.

And so begins my Brighton Beach Memoirs. Most of our group took a day trip on Friday to Brighton. After taking the train out through gorgeous green country, we reached the coast. Can you see the ocean yet? How about now? And there it is. It was a tad chilly and pretty windy, but there was sun and ocean, so we were happy :) It was such a relief to be able to leave the rushed city of London and go to Brighton. We were able to take it slow and just relax. A pebble beach isn't nearly as comfortable as a sand beach, but it is something to look at. Here it is ladies and gentlemen. Legit fish and chips on the sea side of Brighton. It was good, except I didn't have nearly enough tartar sauce. This is a lovely pier that goes out a ways and has treat shops and a mini theme park. It's adorable! We then basked in the generous sunlight right beside King George's little vacation palace. Don't ask me which King George. I wasn't enough in the touristy mood to take note! Then c

Pirate skulls and bones, sticks and stones and weed and bombs. Running when we hit 'em, lethal poison through their system

London bridge is falling down, my fair lady. It's actually a very gorgeous site, the London Bridge. And it was a beautiful day :) Maybe not the most suitable weather for the Tower of London though. Just a bit down the street from where I am perched is the Tower of London. An unconquerable fortress of fear, manliness, and trepidation. And death of course :) This is the tower where the crown jewels are kept. They literally had them in a super-sized bank vault. Unfortunately, photos were strictly prohibited. But I will say this. There is a lot of purple. Makes sense, purple being the color for royalty. And they truly are bejeweled crowns! Nothing short of bling bling! This has all been standing here since the Norman Invasion . . . in 1066 AD! It's pretty old, as far as buildings go. As far as anything goes. And they had their own little settlement inside. Quoth the raven, nevermore. There are several ravens within the fortress just hanging out all creepy like. Apparently they hav