Skip to main content

Pirate skulls and bones, sticks and stones and weed and bombs. Running when we hit 'em, lethal poison through their system


London bridge is falling down, my fair lady. It's actually a very gorgeous site, the London Bridge. And it was a beautiful day :) Maybe not the most suitable weather for the Tower of London though. Just a bit down the street from where I am perched is the Tower of London. An unconquerable fortress of fear, manliness, and trepidation. And death of course :)



This is the tower where the crown jewels are kept. They literally had them in a super-sized bank vault. Unfortunately, photos were strictly prohibited. But I will say this. There is a lot of purple. Makes sense, purple being the color for royalty. And they truly are bejeweled crowns! Nothing short of bling bling!

This has all been standing here since the Norman Invasion . . . in 1066 AD! It's pretty old, as far as buildings go. As far as anything goes. And they had their own little settlement inside.


Quoth the raven, nevermore. There are several ravens within the fortress just hanging out all creepy like. Apparently they have been there since, like, you know, 1066 AD. So not very long.

As far as within the towers, I'll just post a bunch of photos and periodically comment:

This is a chapel inside the White Tower.

I thought it would be important for you to know that they did indeed have toilets. I am sitting on it. Anyone want to know where it all goes?

Down the tower walls and onto the grass below. At least the grass was plenty fertilized!

This is Henry VIII armor he wore.

From these pictures two things can be learned about Henry VIII. 1) He is quite large around the middle, which apparently was very attractive back in the day. It showed the ladies he was rich enough to eat to his heart's content. Also showed that he was in good health. 2) Henry here is very proud of his manliness. If what I'm saying isn't obvious to you, maybe this photo will help.

Protect your carnal treasure!!!

I will answer your question right now. No. Nobody else had armor as . . . protective as Henry's. I looked. Henry VIII was a very special man. That's all I am going to say about that.

Yes. It is a dragon. And yes. I am a dragon whisperer.
You probably can't tell from this picture that the dragon is spitting out coins like fire, his feet are made of guns, and his belly is full of money and jewels. Reminds me of The Hobbit a bit.

This is the Bloody Tower!!! Are you filled with doom and dread? That's too bad because to be perfectly honest, it wasn't nearly as gnarly and bloody as I was expecting. I guess I was expecting blood to still be splattered on the walls. But it did have a very claustrophobic winding stair case.


You can get a little hint from that picture. The stairs are really tall, and there is barely enough room for both your shoulders to fit in the passage. I probably would have gotten into a panic attack if the stars went any longer than they did.

And the rack. Isn't it lovely? They wouldn't let me give it a try though :(


This little piece of artwork is meant to be a monument to those who were executed in the Tower of London. According to the text on the monument, people like Anne Boleyn and some others of Henry VIII wives were executed on that very spot.

Later that night, a group of us went to go see a play just for fun, not for class. We were planning on going to this play we heard was really good called London Road. It's based on the true story that took place like twenty years ago about several murders that happened in a few weeks time. But that play was sold out, so we saw this other play called Rocket to the Moon. I've realized how much I have neglected to really talk about the plays I've seen, which is kind of the point I came to England in the first place. So what I'm going to do is make a separate post just for the plays I see and keep updating that one post whenever I see a play.

Comments

  1. Wow, the Tower of London, what a place! You are doing and seeing so much so fast! Also, I can't believe all the plays, so much culture-good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many amazing pictures! There is literally A RACK! It also reminds me of Muppet Treasure Island.

    Also, I really admire their toilet system. Not a bad idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chapel in the White Tower is amazing. And I'm glad you climbed all those stairs without a panic attack! I was getting one just thinking about it. Claustrophobia must run in the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. I love that people in England are so protective about their " family jewels ". First the chasity belt now the kings armor. It all looks so fun Meg.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'll stick with you baby for a thousand years. Nothing's gonna touch you in these golden years.

By this time in our trip, our group has already seen Shakespeare's All's Well That Ends Well at the Globe . . . which was superb. Today, we got to take a tour of the theatre itself. Might be one of my favorite sight seeing things I have done. It's just that I have spent so many school years learning about this theatre and the time of Shakespeare. I feel like all I had learned didn't really stick until today. I was there. I was in the space where it all happened. It's true what my English professors say, that if you really want to major in English, your life wouldn't be fulfilled to you come to England. Everything I have learned just gels together all of a sudden. It's beautiful. A wonderful event in earth's history. A stunning creation wrought by humankind. For instance, I learned that the people who watch from the ground are called "groundlings." Makes sense. They were also called "penny stinkers" because they paid one penny to get i

In the spring I shed my skin and it blows away with the changing wind.

And so begins my Brighton Beach Memoirs. Most of our group took a day trip on Friday to Brighton. After taking the train out through gorgeous green country, we reached the coast. Can you see the ocean yet? How about now? And there it is. It was a tad chilly and pretty windy, but there was sun and ocean, so we were happy :) It was such a relief to be able to leave the rushed city of London and go to Brighton. We were able to take it slow and just relax. A pebble beach isn't nearly as comfortable as a sand beach, but it is something to look at. Here it is ladies and gentlemen. Legit fish and chips on the sea side of Brighton. It was good, except I didn't have nearly enough tartar sauce. This is a lovely pier that goes out a ways and has treat shops and a mini theme park. It's adorable! We then basked in the generous sunlight right beside King George's little vacation palace. Don't ask me which King George. I wasn't enough in the touristy mood to take note! Then c