Skip to main content

Stratford Trip Day One

We went as a group to Stratford-upon-Avon right after our walk through Kent country. We would be absent from London for a few days. This was the strictly Shakespeare trip. Only everything Shakespeare we would obsess ourselves with, and absolutely nothing else . . . well maybe a little more of something else every now and again. Here follows day one of our Stratford trip:


Here is Coventry Cathedral, the most popular cathedral to visit in England, which is saying something. What you see are the ruins left over from the cathedral.

And here you can see the new cathedral built next to the ruins.

The reason why this cathedral is so popular is because of the symbolism and powerful story it has. The cathedral was bombed during WWII, leaving only the walls standing and shards of stained-glass. While surveying the damage, a certain bishop had an idea for the cathedral. Instead of doing repair work, he thought the cathedral should stand in its ruins, as a symbol for strength and victory over death. In the above picture, this bishop added the words right over the altar "Father Forgive." Not "Father Forgive Them," but "Father Forgive." It was a message meant for both sides of the war.
Coventry Cathedral now stands as a symbol of forgiveness, comfort and hope; the hope that all wounds may be healed after the strife is over.

This was the only surviving artifact after the bombing.



This statue is called Reconciliation.





These are figures carved out from glass and have been placed within the window. Apparently it took five years to complete this window.

This statue is of Michael overcoming the Devil. It's another symbol of victory over evil.

This site is probably one of my favorites because of the powerful story behind it. It's so sad and so touching. It was a dreadful thing for me to leave. I felt as if I was leaving a friend in need behind, and missing out on the opportunity to be comforted by the following scriptures written on the walls of the new chapel. Even as I am working on this post, I felt I should play some quiet, reverent music. My song of choice: Claire de Lune.





Our next stop on our way to Stratford was the Kenilworth Castle.


Constructed in the time of King John II. I am a mess now because I can't decide whether I like this castle or the Dover Castle better! This one was better in one way: you can climb!





And climb was what I did! I don't think we were technically allowed to climb, but how can you not??? Those rocks make for perfect gripping rocks.





This was John's backyard. Dezi had a bit of a picnic whilst overlooking the countryside.





If I were to write a book and select a picture to go in the book, it would be this one. I mean, just look at how important and pensive I look!

Our last stop before reaching Stratford was the Mary Arden Farmhouse. This historic site was thought to have been Shakespeare's mother's home. They later found out that is was actually down the road from this farm in a very boring little cottage. So, they decided to make this a tourist site anyway. It was quite pleasant with all the farm animals. I felt like for a moment I was in Utah again! Except for the few people dressed in Tudor clothing.


Did anyone else think of Malcom in the Middle when they saw the goats? After seeing that show, I'm hesitant to approach goats.

It wasn't till this moment when I realized I could watch pigs all day long and stay entertained. They would occasionally chase after this hen that was in their pen, and bark like dogs. It was very funny to watch. I think that's the only reason the farmers keep the hen in there, to give those poor pigs something to do.

Horses! In case you haven't noticed yet, I love horses. I've been starved of them for quite a few years and really gravitated towards the horses at this farm.

They were so nice!

This is the bed and breakfast we stayed in while in Stratford. It was very pink and very floral. But it was adorable and lots of fun!

Comments

  1. You should totally write a book, just so you can put that picture in it! I approve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stained glass window is gorgeous! So much pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coventry Cathedral seems to be quite a moving place. That statue Reconciliation is amazing. I'm sure I wouldn't want to leave either

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'll stick with you baby for a thousand years. Nothing's gonna touch you in these golden years.

By this time in our trip, our group has already seen Shakespeare's All's Well That Ends Well at the Globe . . . which was superb. Today, we got to take a tour of the theatre itself. Might be one of my favorite sight seeing things I have done. It's just that I have spent so many school years learning about this theatre and the time of Shakespeare. I feel like all I had learned didn't really stick until today. I was there. I was in the space where it all happened. It's true what my English professors say, that if you really want to major in English, your life wouldn't be fulfilled to you come to England. Everything I have learned just gels together all of a sudden. It's beautiful. A wonderful event in earth's history. A stunning creation wrought by humankind. For instance, I learned that the people who watch from the ground are called "groundlings." Makes sense. They were also called "penny stinkers" because they paid one penny to get i

In the spring I shed my skin and it blows away with the changing wind.

And so begins my Brighton Beach Memoirs. Most of our group took a day trip on Friday to Brighton. After taking the train out through gorgeous green country, we reached the coast. Can you see the ocean yet? How about now? And there it is. It was a tad chilly and pretty windy, but there was sun and ocean, so we were happy :) It was such a relief to be able to leave the rushed city of London and go to Brighton. We were able to take it slow and just relax. A pebble beach isn't nearly as comfortable as a sand beach, but it is something to look at. Here it is ladies and gentlemen. Legit fish and chips on the sea side of Brighton. It was good, except I didn't have nearly enough tartar sauce. This is a lovely pier that goes out a ways and has treat shops and a mini theme park. It's adorable! We then basked in the generous sunlight right beside King George's little vacation palace. Don't ask me which King George. I wasn't enough in the touristy mood to take note! Then c

Pirate skulls and bones, sticks and stones and weed and bombs. Running when we hit 'em, lethal poison through their system

London bridge is falling down, my fair lady. It's actually a very gorgeous site, the London Bridge. And it was a beautiful day :) Maybe not the most suitable weather for the Tower of London though. Just a bit down the street from where I am perched is the Tower of London. An unconquerable fortress of fear, manliness, and trepidation. And death of course :) This is the tower where the crown jewels are kept. They literally had them in a super-sized bank vault. Unfortunately, photos were strictly prohibited. But I will say this. There is a lot of purple. Makes sense, purple being the color for royalty. And they truly are bejeweled crowns! Nothing short of bling bling! This has all been standing here since the Norman Invasion . . . in 1066 AD! It's pretty old, as far as buildings go. As far as anything goes. And they had their own little settlement inside. Quoth the raven, nevermore. There are several ravens within the fortress just hanging out all creepy like. Apparently they hav