Skip to main content

The UK and Me!

I have finally arrived in the UK!!!

Although I have been lethargic and in a dream like state since I departed from Salt Lake yesterday morning, I have already seen so many things that take my breath away. The six flights of stairs I take to get to my flat, quite literally take my breath away and make my thighs burn. Really, not much has happened, and yet, I feel that I already have so much to talk about. I really don't want to talk about the flights . . . basically all you need to know is that I found my way quite easily all by myself and hardly slept at all, though I'm sure my dad's sleeping pill helped a lot. Also, on the red eye the seat next to me was free so I got to take up extra space and extra blankets and pillows :)

Well, I arrived in England around 6:30 am their time, 10:30 pm Utah time. I was able to get through customs quite easily and find this girl named Tiffany in my program. We got to brave the Heathrow Express and taxis together. It was nice to not be alone after all that time of uncertainty on the flights.

We arrived at the flats . . . uh . . . I really don't remember since I've been half asleep all day. Maybe around 9:30? Anyway. The flats are really nice and the girls I share a floor with are awesome! I am excited to do awesome things with them. Ariatna is my roommate, and I couldn't ask for anything more out of a study abroad roommate. I am just really relieved that I am not the smartest one in my group. Let's just say, I am a really good follower :)

My most favorite feature about my flat is that I am on the very top floor and have an an excellent view. I can actually crawl out of my window and on to the roof!!! It's so awesome!!!! I think there will be plenty of parties on that roof. Here are some photos:









Can you believe that is literally a few steps from my window!!! I would be happy sitting on that roof all day long . . . if I didn't know that I was in London and there are plenty more important things to do.

Then the entire class went on a little stroll around the block and I couldn't help but take some pictures. I would have taken a lot more if I wasn't afraid of losing my group. We are located right outside Hyde Park. Apart from that, I am quite unclear of my exact location. I know there is Gloucester and Kensington road and stuff.





Add ImageAdd ImageAdd Image
Reminds me of The Parent Trap a little bit. For all you literary nerds, this is where Virgina Woolf lived. Yes, I currently live just down the street from where she would have lived back in the day. There is just all these random little treasures that you can find here if you take the time to look. Although, for the more popular things like the Royal Wedding, I don't think one has to look too far.

Comments

  1. It's beautiful Megan. I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! Looks a lot like Provo. You should stand out on your rooftop every night and sing to the world below (or at least howl).

    Could we get pictures of what your flat looks like inside?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg! Oh my gosh, it is so beautiful! I'm SO glad you posted some pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, I am so happy for you. You deserve to love England and for England to love you. I hope that sleep comes easy and that you enjoy all that there is to enjoy. I am looking forward to seeing all you see. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful! Looks very Charles Dickensish, only not dirty. Glad to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'll stick with you baby for a thousand years. Nothing's gonna touch you in these golden years.

By this time in our trip, our group has already seen Shakespeare's All's Well That Ends Well at the Globe . . . which was superb. Today, we got to take a tour of the theatre itself. Might be one of my favorite sight seeing things I have done. It's just that I have spent so many school years learning about this theatre and the time of Shakespeare. I feel like all I had learned didn't really stick until today. I was there. I was in the space where it all happened. It's true what my English professors say, that if you really want to major in English, your life wouldn't be fulfilled to you come to England. Everything I have learned just gels together all of a sudden. It's beautiful. A wonderful event in earth's history. A stunning creation wrought by humankind. For instance, I learned that the people who watch from the ground are called "groundlings." Makes sense. They were also called "penny stinkers" because they paid one penny to get i

In the spring I shed my skin and it blows away with the changing wind.

And so begins my Brighton Beach Memoirs. Most of our group took a day trip on Friday to Brighton. After taking the train out through gorgeous green country, we reached the coast. Can you see the ocean yet? How about now? And there it is. It was a tad chilly and pretty windy, but there was sun and ocean, so we were happy :) It was such a relief to be able to leave the rushed city of London and go to Brighton. We were able to take it slow and just relax. A pebble beach isn't nearly as comfortable as a sand beach, but it is something to look at. Here it is ladies and gentlemen. Legit fish and chips on the sea side of Brighton. It was good, except I didn't have nearly enough tartar sauce. This is a lovely pier that goes out a ways and has treat shops and a mini theme park. It's adorable! We then basked in the generous sunlight right beside King George's little vacation palace. Don't ask me which King George. I wasn't enough in the touristy mood to take note! Then c

Pirate skulls and bones, sticks and stones and weed and bombs. Running when we hit 'em, lethal poison through their system

London bridge is falling down, my fair lady. It's actually a very gorgeous site, the London Bridge. And it was a beautiful day :) Maybe not the most suitable weather for the Tower of London though. Just a bit down the street from where I am perched is the Tower of London. An unconquerable fortress of fear, manliness, and trepidation. And death of course :) This is the tower where the crown jewels are kept. They literally had them in a super-sized bank vault. Unfortunately, photos were strictly prohibited. But I will say this. There is a lot of purple. Makes sense, purple being the color for royalty. And they truly are bejeweled crowns! Nothing short of bling bling! This has all been standing here since the Norman Invasion . . . in 1066 AD! It's pretty old, as far as buildings go. As far as anything goes. And they had their own little settlement inside. Quoth the raven, nevermore. There are several ravens within the fortress just hanging out all creepy like. Apparently they hav